In every business, employees get paid on specific payroll periods, be it daily, weekly, bi-weekly, semi-monthly, or monthly. However, there are cases where employers need to generate a special payroll run or an off-cycle payroll generation (ie payroll adjustments or bonuses) where an employee would have a separate payslip.
We’d like to introduce you to PayrollHero’s Off-Cycle Payroll Generation. Within this feature, a PayrollHero Admin would be able to generate payroll with a separate payslip outside the usual pay period.
This is currently on its initial release (phase 1) that is only available for 1 specific payment. We’d love to hear your feedback. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to activate this feature.
How to set up your Off Cycle Payroll Generation
Contact PayrollHero Support to enable the Off-Cycle Payroll Feature.
- You can set a specific name for your off-cycle payroll. (e.g Adjustment Payrolls, 13th Month Payrolls, Special Run Payrolls)
- Once your Off Cycle is enabled, the usual payrolls generated for your employees will be put under the “Regular Payrolls” page. See screenshot below:
- Login to your PayrollHero account. You must be an admin with access to the payrolls to generate and set up the off-cycle payrolls.
- Go to Settings
- Click on Payment Templates under the Finances category
- Choose which type of payment template. Payment templates are needed for the system to know the setting of the payment that you’ll be giving to the employee. Be it a bonus, an adjustment, a deduction and so on… (See screenshot below)
- Create and set up the payment template. See sample set up below:
- If the payment is paid to the employee, use CREDIT
- If it is going to be a deduction, use DEBIT
- If the payment is taxable, use GROSS
- If it is non-taxable, use NET
- Select the positions of employees who will be using the payment.
- Click on “Create” once done.
Congratulations! You have created a payment template that will be used for your off cycle payroll generation.
How to generate an off cycle payroll?
- On the Employee tab
- Click on the Employee List
- On the drop-down menu, select the “Generate off-cycle payroll” option.
- Select the employees whom you need to generate an off-cycle payroll
- Click on “Do it” button
- A pop up will show asking the date to when you will pay out the generated off-cycle payroll. In other words, this is where you’ll set the “payout” date of the off-cycle payslip.
- Once you selected the payout date, click on “Do it” and it will then redirect you to a page where you can download the file to add the amounts of the payment you want to payout. See screenshot below:
- Step 1 is to download the XLS file by clicking on “Download Update File”
- The system will export the payment template XLS file like this:
- The name of the XLS file will be something like
“payrollhero account name_name of the off-cycle payroll_date to when you exported the XLS file.xls” (ie payrolltin_offcycle_2020_02_11.xls)
- EID is the unique payrollhero ID. It is the number you see on the URL of a specific employee profile. Do not delete this.
- Name is the employee’s name on your PayrollHero account.
- Employee Number is the employee number given by the employer.
- The position is the employee’s position on your PayrollHero account.
- The amount is where you can type the amount of the payment that the employee will get.
- Payment Date is the payout date. This will show on the employee’s off-cycle payslip.
- Once you have added the amount, save the file as XLS or XLSX and then go back to the Off-Cycle upload page.
- On Step 2, there will be 2 dropdowns.
- The first dropdown is to select the payment template you created. This would tell the system the payment settings for the off-cycle payroll generation.
- The 2nd dropdown is to select which off-cycle payrolls page you would like the payment to be placed under (this is if you have multiple off-cycle payrolls – ie 13th month, adjustments, special runs)
- On Step 3, choose the file you just saved and click on “Upload”
- It will redirect to the Employee List page and on top, a green message will show saying the file you uploaded is being processed and an email will be sent once done to the one who has uploaded the file.
- Once the off-cycle file has generated, the email notification will look something like this screenshot below:
- Links included on the email redirects to the off-cycle payrolls info page on the system. It will look something like this:
- We’ll be changing the URLs to its shorter and direct link on our next feature update.
- Go to the Payroll tab, click on the “Off-cycle Payrolls” page, you will then see the off-cycle pay out dates.
- Click on the gear icon and then click on “Details”
- You will then see the list of employees who has off-cycle payrolls generated with the payslip:
- Clicking the “Payslip” link opens the PDF of the off-cycle payslip.
- If the payslips are all good, you can then click on “Publish (send payslips now)”
- Once the payslips are published, it sends out an email that tells the employee that the payslip is ready and the link that redirects them to their PayrollHero account:
Off Cycle Payslip Samples
Classic Payslip Template
Modern Payslip Template
Statement Payslip Template
That concludes the ‘PayrollHero Off-Cycle Feature’ article.
If you have any further questions, please send us a message on our requests page at
email@example.com – we’d be happy to help.